Sunday, August 3, 2008

Back to School


Back to something and I'm not sure what that means exactly. It's the first time in years that I've had this feeling wash over me. You know it too perhaps, that bit of time before school starts and the summer ends. Right now I am excited about what's around the corner, slightly anxiety ridden and borderline teary all at the same time. I'm ready to buy sharpened pencils and to sniff new Crayolas. I hear the cutting of scissors on construction paper and with my forefinger, sense the cold squishing glue between layers of paper. I know the sound of school chairs as they scrape across the classroom floor and what it means to listen again. As I emotionally ride out of the last few weeks of losing a loved one and being close to my family, the "back to school" tide rises in my blood. 
Photo by AMG 2008

3 comments:

@MuseKaren said...

I feel it too! I've always had that feeling at this time of the year even since graduating from school. I'm not going back to school but it seems like there is always some "new beginning" at this time of the year. Maybe it's your "new beginning".

SAS said...

It is my new beginning calling ... I had same thought.

Lana said...

There is a "turning a corner" feeling for me in the fall too. I'm still in the present summer but when the first crisp cool air breezes past, I'll feel. I do every year. I am suddenly 19 years old confident and heading to college courses again - at least that's the memory it takes me to :)

Blog Archive