Friday, June 19, 2009

Food Inc.


Finally this story makes it to the movies!! The masses!! I've been shopping at the co-op for at least 15 years. I'm growing my own food these days, and I buy grass fed beef by the 1/4 or 1/2 and it's my fourth year with a CSA. To say that people don't know what they are eating is an understatement. I always feel like I can do more, change more, be healthier and learn more. It's exciting to live this way.

Grocery stores are a wonderful thing, but make sure you know what you are buying. Eating the wrong foods is killing us - literally! I was completely disgusted when my local Lund's, a very high-end grocery store near my home, sold 80% beef that was from outside of the USA for the rock-bottom price of $1.99/lb. What's going on with that? Lately, when I shop there I have a hard time finding anything that is worth the cost per pound. I have to drive to a local co-op to find meat that is naturally or organically raised and affordable. To their credit, Lunds does have a decent selection of organic fruits, veggies and dry goods.

Weigh the cost of a pound of veggies against a pound of meat. Compare the nutritional value per ounce and the amount of land it took to grow what you're eating, and I bet you'll see that veggies are the way to go. I'm not vegetarian, but I'm committed to eating the right meat and the right vegetables. I definitely want to support my local economy when I can.


(photo taken in Preston, MN by SAS)

2 comments:

@MuseKaren said...

Thank you for sharing this information. Very inspiring post - I'm excited to see the movie.

Long live the CSA!

Shelly said...

I agree! I feel so much more in touch with the earth and the local agriculture since joining a CSA. And I insist that local cheese tastes 100 times better than that mass marketed grocery store stuff.

Blog Archive