Sunday, September 20, 2009

Creature Feature



My favorite insect has always been a wooly bear caterpillar. Other than that, I've spent most of my life shunning and shooing BUGS.  Thanks to my favorite little red-headed critter, I'm changing my ways. My son spends much of his time catching critters and storing them kindly in jars with holes poked in the top, grass, twigs and other bits of nature. This is an intriguing catch, from along the Mississippi river in Minneapolis. I have to admit that an incredible series from the BBC, Life in the Undergrowth has enormously helped me to appreciate insects, even the -pedes. Of course, I did already like them to a certain extent, and that means an 'outdoor' extent, for one cannot have good soil for growing anything, without the help of microorganisms. So, if something is bugging you, think again. It's time to turn over a new leaf, even if there is a big grasshopper sitting on it.

1 comment:

@MuseKaren said...

Grasshoppers are so interesting to look at. I, too, enjoy the caterpillar.

Blog Archive